Does Your Child Need Braces?
How do you know if your child needs braces?
A dentist should be able to tell you. Your child should be seeing a dentist after the first tooth emerges or by age one. After that, your child should see a dentist regularly, at least once per year. There are some signs to look for that can may signal that your child needs braces:
- Baby teeth – If the baby teeth come in early or late, or are lost irregularly, your child may need braces when he/she gets older.
- Chewing or biting difficulties
- Crowded teeth
- Misplaced or blocked-out teeth
- Shifting jaws
- Biting – If the child is biting the cheeks or the roof of the mouth, that’s a good sign he/she may need braces.
- Misaligned teeth
- Gaps in teeth
- Teeth that meet abnormally
- Jaws and teeth that are disproportionate to the rest of the face
The best time for a child to get braces is after most of the baby teeth have fallen out, which is between the ages of ten and thirteen. Take your child to the dentist for an evaluation. The dentist will perform a physical evaluation of the child’s mouth, and then give a recommendation. If the dentist recommends braces, your child will be referred to an orthodontist, which is the doctor that will place the braces on your child’s teeth.
Our Downtown Phoenix or Scottsdale orthodontist will perform a complete evaluation of your child’s mouth and jaw, including a series of x-rays. Next, the orthodontist will speak with you about the treatment options and costs. There are many different types of braces, including traditional braces, ceramic braces, Damon braces, Invisalign, Forsus Appliances, and palatal expanders. Invisalign is a popular option these days because it is barely visible.
If you think your child needs braces, take him or her to our dentist for help and call to schedule today. We have a Scottsdale and Downtown Phoenix Dental office.